Clinical Governance for boards
Online Course | $450
As a Board Director, how can you ensure you’re getting a true picture of what’s happening on the ground of your organisation? Individual Board Directors and Executives, regardless of whether they have a clinical background or not, have a fiduciary responsibility to understand clinical governance.
Over the last 25 years, there have been a number of reports and Royal Commissions that have resulted in the introduction of new compliance standards; all of which have called out clinical governance as a key factor in improving the way we deliver care.
Good clinical governance places an emphasis on systemic approaches to safety and quality, rather than reactive, short-term fixes. It draws on the experiences of consumers and the contributions of all staff, as well as organisation-level strategies and continuous quality improvement. Clinical Governance for Boards is tailored to emerging or current Directors of health and care organisations. Participants are provided with the history of clinical governance, as well as key issues that a Director might face when managing a care service. Importantly, there are key discussion and reflection points, providing ample opportunity for Boards to advance their knowledge and skills.
Clinical Governance for Boards
Online Course | $450.00
About the Online Course
Everyone working in acute care, aged care, primary care, disability, or mental health has a key role to play in clinical governance. However, that role will differ depending on whether you're a clinician at the coalface, a manager or a Board Director. By enrolling in this online course, you will explore some common probes that can assist Directors to seek comfort in clinical governance, regardless of whether or not you have a clinical background. This online course is also included in our Applied Clinical Governance for Boards and Applied Clinical Governance for Boards (Aged Care) workshops as the pre-reading component if you are interested in a more in-depth course.
The course contains eight modules:
- Module A: Clinical Governance - a background
- Module B: The responsibilities of Directors
- Module C: Understanding Clinical Governance
- Module D: The role of Directors in Making Care Better
- Module E: Understanding Care
- Module F: A Framework for Clinical Governance
- Module G: Data, Accreditation and Sub-Committee
- Module H: The future of Clinical Governance
Upon completion of the course, you will be able to understand:
- What clinical governance is, what it means and why it matters to your organisation
- The fiduciary responsibilities of Directors for the quality of care provided by your organisation
- How the Board can understand the quality of care provided in your organisation
- How the Board can understand risk as it relates to clinical care
- How the Board can help to lead on making your organisation a high-performing organisation
- Examples of frameworks to support Directors in their thinking
- Where the clinical governance agenda may take us over the next 10 years
- How to focus on the governance of the organisation. Whilst we acknowledge that clinical governance is "everyone's responsibility", Directors of healthcare organisations have special responsibilities to ensure that care, our core business, is delivered well.
It is estimated that you will need to spend approximately three hours in total on this online course, which can be completed over multiple days.
All AICG programs have been written by experts to reflect the elements of the AICG Clinical Governance Framework, reviewed by the Course Advisory Committee and approved for continuing professional development points/hours. Please check respective courses for CPD points/hours and approval by accrediting bodies.
This online course forms the pre-reading component of the Applied Clinical Governance for Boards workshop. If you would like an opportunity to apply your clinical governance knowledge in an interactive setting, you may choose to purchase the workshop instead (online course included).
online Course Access
Upon purchase of the course, you will have six months of online access to complete the three modules. The six month period begins from the time of purchase and you can return to the course at any time within the period you are subscribed.
Certificate of completion
After successfully completing all modules of this course you will receive a certificate of completion, which you should retain for your records.
continuing professional development
Participants can record up to 3 CPD hours for undertaking the Clinical Governance online course and the Board workshop.
$450 (inc. GST)