Clinical data analytics
Online Course | $109
Healthcare managers are increasingly required to work with (clinical) data at all levels to assist with decision-making. Understanding how to analyse, interpret and implement change resulting from clinical data insights is an essential skill for healthcare providers. Interpreting clinical data can support healthcare providers in making well-informed decisions to provide more efficient, higher quality, safer and personalised care.
The healthcare industry historically has generated large amounts of data, driven by record keeping, compliance and regulatory requirements, and patient care1. The massive quantities of data (big data) and the accessibility to data hold the promise of supporting a wide range of medical and healthcare functions, including among others, clinical decision support, quality and safety improvement initiatives, disease investigation, and population health management.
Big data and data mining in healthcare are overwhelming not only because of their volume but also because of the diversity of data types and the speed at which they must be managed. Healthcare managers trying to make sense of data can be overwhelmed, with recent research suggesting that the data literacy of Australia’s health care professionals is 12%; 3% below the global average2. If understood and managed correctly, clinical data has the potential to improve care, save lives and lower costs.
Clinical analytics must become a pervasive activity in healthcare settings to achieve the global vision for timely, effective, equitable, and excellent care3. Stephen Duckett (of the Grattan Institute) reports that ‘part of the solution in trying to improve care is providing hospitals with the information so they know where they stand but also enough information so they know how to analyse it; so they know how to improve and where to improve.’2
Clinical Data Analytics
Online Course | $109 (inc. GST)
About the online course
The Clinical Data Analytics course is designed to help you understand data analytics in the context of healthcare quality and safety and will equip you with the skills to interpret and implement quality information to support safe decision making in healthcare. Throughout this course, you will follow Arthur, a patient who navigates his way through the hospital system. Arthur’s journey will show you why it’s important for healthcare providers to understand how to use clinical data to ensure the best outcomes for patients like Arthur.
This course is relevant to any health professional seeking to understand and apply data analytics in a variety of clinical settings.
The online course consists of two modules:
- Module A: Introduction to data and clinical analytics: This module will give you an appreciation of how far clinical data has advanced over the years. You will gain a better understanding of where to find clinical data and how to analyse it for better patient outcomes.
- Module B: Applying clinical data analytics in health care: This module will provide you with the tools on how to interpret and choose the best method to present clinical data. This will enable you to use the data to monitor and improve the quality and safety of the healthcare you provide.
On completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Define data and clinical data analytics with relevant examples
- Explain the role of clinical data analytics in healthcare
- Describe common methods and applications of clinical data analytics
- Understand common pitfalls in clinical data analytics like data quality and ethics and how to avoid them
- Choose clinical analytics methods relevant to your healthcare setting
- Select appropriate data to answer clinical data analytics questions
- Understand common methods to present and visualise clinical data
- Use data to identify where improvements in healthcare are needed.
It is estimated that you will need to spend approximately three hours per module (six hours in total) on this course. You don’t have to complete the course in one sitting.
All AICG programs have been written by experts to reflect the elements of the AICG Clinical Governance Framework and have been reviewed by the Course Advisory Committee.
online Course access
Upon purchase of the course, you will have six months of online access to complete the three modules. The six month period begins from the time of purchase and you can return to the course at any time within the period you are subscribed.
Certificate of completion
After successfully completing all modules of this course you will receive a certificate of completion, which you should retain for your records.
continuing professional development
This course offers the following:
- AICG: 6 CPD Hours
$109 (inc. GST)